Wednesday, April 29, 2009

For my final project, I'm doing a tutorial on layers - layer filters, styles and masks. I've taken a photo and built around it a wood grain frame and mats with beveled edges and I've applied a mask to make it look like part of the photo is jumping out of the matting.



What you will learn from this tutorial:
1) How to use a combination of layer filters to simulate wood grain.
2) How to use layer styles to create 3D looks on layers, such as the beveled edge of a picture frame or mat.
3) How to use layer mask to create the illusion of part of a photo popping out of it's layer.

Techniques in this tutorial are useful in a variety of applications. Using filters to create illusions of wood grain or different textures is useful in art projects outside of traditional photography. And in the tutorial is a nifty trick to fix troublesome outer edges of a layer.

Using the bevel edge and other layer styles is good for producing a 3D effect. And using masks is another way to add the illusion of 3D to a graphic design.

I'm using a new application for me called VoiceThread.com to make this tutorial. This is a slide presentation with voice narrative. Since I've never used it before I'm not sure how easy it is for others to view or now loud it is. If anyone has trouble with it, please email me at:
wilkinson99835@gmail.com

This is the link to go to VoiceThread.com to my slide presentation:
http://voicethread.com/share/467804/

I've embedded the tutorial below. It shows up small, so the link is better for viewing. But I thought I would give this new technology (new to me anyway) a try.

Thanks for viewing.
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment