Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Panoramic Stitching - Crescent Harbor

Now you're going to know I'm crazy. Instead of doing 3 or 4 photos to stitch together, I decided I needed 8! Well I ended up with so much overlap between some of them that I only used 7. I thought this would be the most difficult project, but it turned out to be the easiest of the three.


I caught a break in the weather and had a relative snow free hour to get these photos done. I was standing at the harbor shelter so I had room to back up and get a good perspective. While I was taking the pictures, all I could see in my view finder were hundreds of masts and vertical lines. I thought I would never be able to match them up. But by the time I got to this one I had discovered that it's easier for me to work from right to left. And if I have something large in the background to match up, I can use the free transform tool to mesh the lower details together.

Of the three that I did, this one has the best perspective, true to the real scene. And that was without me having to over manipulate the perspective with the transform tools in photoshop.

I had so many photos for this one, I reduced the size (width) to 10 inches each. That made the math easier to work with and it made the final image a more manageable size. Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy of the right most photo. And I flattened the image before I realized it. But I have the panoramic. And of the three, this is my favorite final image. The most interesting thing to me is that I think none of these individual photos is outstanding. But the panoramic is pretty cool. I guess the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.














No comments:

Post a Comment