Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Filters

Our assignment was to take a new picture and apply filters to create 3 new images. We are to have a goal in mind and not just apply random filters. My goal was to turn a photo of a still life into a painting or sketch.

Some of the differences in these images are subtle. Click image to view in larger format for best viewing.



This is my original picture for this assignment. I was just in Dallas visiting family and took this picture in my sister's kitchen window where she displays a collection of antique purple glass bottles. The window was covered with dew and was a little frosty so the trees outside the window are obscured. I thought that if I painted, this would make a nice still life. So that is the effect I was hoping for.

I tried several different options to turn this into a "painting" only to discover that the frosty window turned into a very busy background. So my first step ended up to select the window with the quick selection tool and apply a Glassian Blur. Then I applied the Accented Edges filter to bring out the details of the bottles and compensate for a lack of contrast. I decided I liked that image. So I stopped there and saved it. I used it as the base layer for other images.

For the image above, I started off applying the Paint Daubs filter with a brush size of 1, sharpness of 0 and type of wide sharp. Then I applied a Box Blur (to the window) with a radius of 12 px. It didn't look enough like a painting, so I applied the Accented Edges with edge width of 9, edge brightness of 19 and smoothness of 14. Then I decided it needed to look more like a canvas, so I used the Texturizer filter for Canvas with a scale of 88, relief of 17 and light, top left. Then I made the mistake of trying to smooth out some of the splatter on the window. But I discovered that once you apply a texture filter, further adjustments really mess that up. So I backed off my last adjustment deciding I liked the window with a little splatter.

Then I decided to make the bottles into a still life sketch. This turned out to be the hardest effect to create. I tried several different filters and ended up with big areas of black (like on the big bottle to the right). This attempt was a combination of a Graphic Pen filter with stroke length of 15, light/dark balance of 40 and stroke direction of right diagonal and a Watercolor filter with brush detail of 6, shadow intensity of 1 and texture of 1. I was hoping this looked like a pen and ink sketch. It doesn't really. But I liked it anyway.


This was my final attempt to convert my purple bottles to a pen and ink sketch. I started with the second image above (Glassian Blur on the background and accented edges). Then I applied the Photocopy filter with detail of 24 and darkness of 50. I played around with this a lot and either have too much black in the center of the bottles or I lose the outline of the middle back bottle. I never found the right combination of filters to look like a pen and ink drawing. But I came up with some interesting variations of my original image.

So this is the last one worth putting out for display. I was going for a watercolor look. But I know the Watercolor filter in photoshop looks very little like a true watercolor. So I used the image with the Glassian Blur and this time Sharpen Edges. Then I used the Photocopy filter with a detail of 7 and darkness of 15. I over saturated the base layer and then reduced the opacity of the top (filtered) layer to 55%. There's not as much contrast as I wanted. But further work only messed it up. So now I really am done.

Thanks for viewing. All comments welcome.
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment