Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Panoramic Stitching - Quilters Delight

Call me crazy, but I totally overdid this assignment. The assignment was to take a series of at least 3 photos and stitch them together in a panoramic and then add text to them. (What up with that?) I really enjoyed doing this, so I overdid it. I did three different series of 4 to 8 photos for 3 very different panoramic images. The images are different but the process was the same.

The first series of pictures I took in Sitka's Ben Franklin store where the quilters go for fabrics. When I show the wall of fabric, I thought it would be perfect for this assignment. Unfortunately there were perpendicular aisles very close to this wall so I couldn't step back far enough to get good starting pictures. I knew this would be a problem with the perspective, and I was right. But I gave it a shot anyway and decided to post it.

For all three of my projects, I used the same process. I started by reducing the size of the photos to 20 inches wide (10 for the harbor pictures). Then I took the end photo and expanded the canvas. This one I started on the left, but I found it more natural for me to start on the right. Anyway, I selected the whole photo of the second image, copied and pasted it on my expanded canvas and moved it into position. I tried using John's trick of lowering the opacity to see how to line things up. I had trouble with that. Everything looks fuzzy and I can't tell which fuzz is which layer. So I started off with a lower opacity in my top layer, then once I had it close, I adjusted back to 100% opacity.

This fabric image was the hardest to do. I tried to use the free transform tool to adjust the perspective and that ended up throwing things out of alignment. But I think I have most of my transitions pretty close. This is really a flat wall, but the composite looks like a corner or a big V.

For my other images, I found that if I line up the largest details in the background, I can use the free transform tool to line up the details in the foreground. I got things close and then used the arrow keys to nudge. One thing I like about the free transform tool is that I can use it and nudge, transform and nudge and transform more without having to change anything in the tool bar. I just had to click on the move arrow at the top of the tool bar and then select free transform under edit. That trick was really helpful in my harbor image too.

After I had my first two pictures lined up, I made adjustments to brightness/contrast to blend them. Then I used the eraser tool with a soft edge and a large diameter to blend the edges. Once I was happy with that, I moved on to the next picture in the series. After they were all lined up and blended, I cropped the edges. I learned after this one to take photos with more than I wanted in the final image. A good portion of the top and bottom gets cropped away to make the edges smooth.

So although this image didn't turn out as well as I hoped, I learned a lot that made the next two turn out better. It is all about the process.











No comments:

Post a Comment